Are you looking for a vegetarian meal for Meatless Monday? Try these dishes I made last Fall at the Delicious and Nutritious Cooking Class. The meal starts off with a super nutritionally packed avocado and lime dip with corn chips. The entrée is a grilled Italian Vegetable Panini with steamed sweet potatoes on the side. The dessert is apples sautéed with just the right amount of butter, cinnamon and real maple syrup to make it taste oh so yummy! I hope you enjoy it as much as we all did J
Avocado & Lime Dip
1. Cut open the avocado lengthwise. Remove and discard pit.
2. Scoop out the inside of the avocado into a small bowl and discard the outer skin.
3. Add the juice of 1 lime to the avocado and mash together.
4. Serve with tortilla chips.
Italian Vegetable Panini
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 med. Portobello mushroom cap, sliced thin
1/4 small red onion, sliced thin
2 slices whole wheat Panini bread
Non-stick cooking spray
4 slices provolone cheese
1/2 c. baby spinach leaves
3 oz. jarred roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
1/4 tsp. Italian seasonings
Dash ground black pepper
1. In a small nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add mushroom and onion slices and cook 6-7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Spray one side of bread with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Place bread, sprayed side down, on preheated grill pan over medium heat. Layer bread with 2 slices cheese, mushrooms, onions, spinach and red peppers.
4. Sprinkle with Italian seasonings and pepper, and top with 2 more slices of cheese.
5. Spray the other slice of bread with cooking spray then place sprayed side up over fillings.
6. Cook sandwiches 3-4 minutes per side or until bread is golden brown and cheese melts, weighing them down with a heavy skillet or pressing down with large spatula.
7.Cut sandwiches in half diagonally to serve.
Steamed Sweet Potato
1 sweet potato or yam
1 tsp. parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a medium pot with 2” of water to a boil.
2. Peel and slice sweet potato into quarters.
3. Place sweet potato into a steamer basket, then place the steamer basket into the pot. Steam until soft about 20-30 minutes depending on the size.
4. Transfer sweet potato to serving plate. Season with parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
1 apple, sliced thin
1/2 tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tbsp. maple syrup
1. Heat the butter over medium heat until it’s melted.
2. Add the apple and cinnamon and sauté for 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in the maple syrup and continue to cook until it evaporates.
4. Remove from heat and serve.